“In the 1920’s the Parties were bigger, the pace was faster, the shows were broader, the buildings were higher, the morals were looser and the liqueur was cheaper.” F.Scott, Fitzgerald – The Great Gatsby
A few years ago we had a 1920’s theme murder mystery party. Everyone dressed and acted according to their character descriptions. It was great fun. No-one was who you thought they were. They were new and different people, the ones you trusted you couldn’t trust anymore…
In addition to our little party “the Gatsby Theme’ is something that has taken over parties and even weddings. Here are a few great ideas to incorporate into your event if you want the ROARING 20’s to make its appearance.
Short bobbed hair and the finger wave and headbands was the thing to have, but if you have long hair you can still pull off a 1920’s look
Some more stunning hair ideas here
The flapper dress was a rectangular dress that showed none of the female curves but more modern versions of the dress is created to exemplify femininity.
The suit (Male outfit ideas)
In the 1920’s clothes weren’t tailored to fit you the way it is today therefore the men were loose fitting suits. Outfits often included wearing a polo shirt with a leather jacket for a more casual look but mostly gangsters dressed in suits to show that they were ‘business’ men.
The Great Gatsby movie showed off the decadence of that era, and so should your invitations. Adorn them with cold, pearls,lace, diamonds and feathers.
Be ostentatious, instead of only using flowers, you can use feathers, and gold painted tree branches adorned with pearls, and other jewels. If you have the’ dough’ to spend you can also add some white orchids or lilies to your arrangements.
There are some awesome DIY ideas on the net that ranges from glittered feathers and bowls to gold painted tree branches and balloons. Decorating any of these with pearls, diamonds or glitter will also do the trick
When hosting a 1920’s dinner party or event adding some 1920’s slang on your stationary will also give your party a more mafia/gangster feel.
- all wet – totally wrong
- attaboy or attagirl – great job! (From “That’s a boy!”)
- baloney – nonsense
- beef – a problem
- bimbo – a tough guy
- darb – great
- doll – an attractive woman
- dough – money
- gams – legs
- gay – happy – never used as slang for homosexual
- get-up – an outfit, clothing
- high hat – a snob
- hip to the jive – trendy
- jack – money
- joint – an establishment
- line – a false story or lie
- lollapalooza – a humdinger or wonderful time
- live wire – lively person
- razz – to make fun of
- rats! – how disappointing!
- rummy – a drunk
- sap – a fool or idiot
- shiv – a knife
- skirt – a woman
- spill – to talk
- swanky – elegant
- tight – attractive
- vamp – to flirt with or seduce
- wet blanket – a kill-joy
- whoopee – wild fun
- beat your gums – talk idly
- beat it! – get out of here
- don’t know from nothing – doesn’t have any information
- don’t take any wooden dimes – don’t get cheated
- get a wiggle on – start moving
- I have to see a man about a dog! – I need to leave now (usually to buy illegal alcohol)
- left holding the bag – to be blamed for something
- mind your potatoes – mind your own business
- now you’re on the trolley! – now you’ve got it!
- puttin’ on the Ritz – doing something in style
- take someone for a ride – to drive someone to an isolated spot and kill them
- tell it to Sweeney! – tell it to someone who cares!